Free Kids Bike Race!
Bring the whole family to enjoy all the events in the Evanston Grand Prix. The Whole Foods Market Kids Bike Race provides the little ones a chance to participate in the sport of cycling in the heart of Evanston. It's fun, festive and safe.
WHEN: Sunday, July 15
TIME: 3:15 pm
Part of Evanston Grand Prix festivities during a break in the action right before the women's and men's pro races begin.
WHERE: Right on the race course at Fountain Square!
REGISTRATION: Registration will be held from 11:00 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. inside Whole Foods Market at the corner of Church Street and Chicago Avenue in their dining area. Just steps away from the action on the course at Orrington and Church. There is no fee to enter. However, registration IS required.
- Group 1: 3 years old and younger
- Group 2: 4- and 5-year-olds
- Group 3: 6- and 7-year-olds
- Group 4: 8- and 9-year-olds
Each group will set up at specified locations around the course that will differ in length according to age. Thanks to the Cultural Care Au Pair for arranging volunteers to staff the Whole Foods Market Kids Bike Race.
Rules and Regulations
- Children up to 9 years old are eligible.
- A liability release form must be filled out for each entrant and it must be signed by the entrant's parent or legal guardian. If a parent or guardian cannot be present on the day of the race, their signature must be notarized in advance. Waivers can be downloaded here (PDF) and will be available onsite.
- BYOB! Each rider must supply his or her own bicycle and may be denied entry if race officials deem the bicycle to be unsafe.
- Each rider must supply and wear an CPSC approved cycling helmet. (Consult your local bike shop, sporting goods store or the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute for more information.)
- There will be a maximum of 75 entries allowed for each of the four races.
The kids aren't the only ones who get to play. Everybody can join in on the afternoon Dance Party in the Festival Area courtesy of Downtown Evanston. Spend the rest of the day and evening browsing shops along the course, checking out the Festival Area and enjoying dinner trackside while pro cyclists from around the world challenge each other at top speed starting at 4:00 pm.
photo by evanston photographic studios